Saturday, August 22, 2015

Hold me close, and don't let go

I have always loved being hugged.  When my father would give me big huge bear hugs at night before going to bed...I loved them.  Having him close and feeling him squeeze me until I could barely breath.  Then relief at being able to take in air again, yet wishing that he would keep squeezing me tight.  

There is something about the closeness of a hug that I think we all long for.  Being that close to another human.  Feeling their warmth and love.  And then we grow older and the hugs turn into more of a token, quick, well if I must touch you sort of gesture.  The quick half hearted squeeze that we give someone as they or we are going to be away for a long time.  Letting them know that yes, you will be missed.

As I got older I learned to really appreciate a sincere hug.  Giving another a genuine hug, arms wrapped around another letting them know that they were missed or loved.  Or perhaps to let another know that we feel their pain and that we feel just a little bit what they must be going through.  Or perhaps that we don't know their pain, but want to let them know that we still care, in any way that we can. 

There have been times in my life when faced with difficulties, that I have ached inside for someone, anyone, to see my pain and to give me a long knowing hug.  And times when I have been so happy and excited that I would have loved to throw my arms around another's neck and share my joy with them.

My son, who is almost 13, is wonderful at giving hugs.  I love when he comes up to me, and for no reason gives me a long loving hug.  Sometimes more often than not, also including the words, I love you...you are an amazing mom.  I know he will make a wonderful partner some day to a lucky someone, but for now I will take every hug that he is willing to share with me.  He will soon tower over me, and will have to lean down to my level.  I hope he never forgets to lean down, and really appreciate what a true hug is.


In HIS Arms

Hold me close and don't let go
invite me in to you
wrap your arms around me
envelope me, surround me with your love
holding me close breathing me in
strong, supportive, masculine
everything I have been longing for

you hold me and I relax into you
fully, completely, letting go of the world around me
melting into you like a flower floating on a stream
fully and completely supported
not needing to be anything but what I am
I feel you, taking me in, breathing me in
my energy becoming a part of you

you lift me up, out of myself
thoughts and ideas fleeing from my head
being,  just being
as I soften into you
I feel you...pulling me close
letting me know that you will not let me fall
you are strong, immovable, my strength





1 comment:

GeorgAnna said...

I really like this entry, and you are lucky to have a son who likes hugs. your younger brother Brian was less demonstrative. I remember once when I dropped him off at Jr. High, I said, "Can I get a hug?"
and he said, "How about a hand shake?" And he shook my hand and was off. Of course it was at the school, where his friends might have seen him. The world needs more hugs. Especially older people, touching is so important when you are alone. Glad you posted the poem, another good one.